That's what thy called the ticket package. We visited all three and I must say it was EXQUISITE! Oh, to be queen for a day!
First, we went through The Queen's Gallery . . . lots of artwork and fancy jewelry.
Then we visited Buckingham Palace and it was a gem! We were in time to see the State Rooms decked out for a feast and the ballrooms gleaming with gold. Justin loved all the ceilings (why?! they were beautiful) and the organ pipes in the dining room - he asked if this is where "The Choir" sat. McKenzie kept asking where the queen was and if she was going to dance. I told her that the queen was living at another palace for a while and asked if she would like to be queen. She said yes and that Justin could be a queen too (to sit on the other throne) - how thoughtful! I loved the grand staircase and the silk room where all the walls were covered with pink silk - not really something I'd want in my own house, but they were gorgeous! The kids kept debating whether it better resembled Anastasia or Cinderella. I just wish we could have seen all 775 rooms!
We weren't allowed to take pictures in either The Queen's Gallery or Buckingham Palace, but here are a few photo ops of the back of the palace and its gardens.



Finally, we saw The Royal Mews. McKenzie conked out for this one, but Justin was thrilled! "Mews" are traditionally rows of stables and carriage houses with residences above, built around a paved courtyard. The Royal Mews is where the official State vehicles are kept and maintained, including the horses and carriages. The staff and their families live in the flats above. Many families have been there for years as caretaker positions are frequently filled by members of the same family when they become old enough. [I sound like a dictionary, but that's what the sign said.]
This police officer was kind enough to let me take his picture with Justin. You can tell from the smile on his face that Justin's thinkin' this is pretty cool. If not, you should have heard him talk about it all the way home!
Our "royal carriage" awaits!






No comments:
Post a Comment